A future double mini standard Fuchsia

This is a cutling from a much bigger Fuchsia I got as a present from a friend. The main Fuchsia almost died becaues of poor soil (in fact the main tree is slowly recovering), but it turned out that this specie readily propagates from cutlings. I cut of a 7 mm thick hardened branch with two leaf-pairs on it and put it in a glass of water in my basement greenhouse. Three weeks later the glass was full of new fleshy roots.

The transplantation into the new soil has left it with a tremendous growth, which stagnated a bit when put outside.

However  it has rewarded me with two pink bells which has just started to open into a purple inside. I will make a macro picture of the flower later.

There is a huge society that deals with all kinds of Fuchsias. Their traditions, goals and standards differ a lot from bonsai. Allthough it is fully possible to use this species as a bonsai I will try to make this one into what he fuchsia people call a "mini standard". Since my Fuchsia clearly has two stems it will be a double mini standard.

If you are interested in what a "standard" is look here: http://www.solentfuchsia.co.uk/standards.html.

The measurements aimed for in this one is:

Clear stem not to be less than 6” (154mm) or exceed 10” (255mm)

No comments:

Post a Comment