I am Bonsai

This is how my bonsai interest came to life.

Two years ago i finally reached adulthood when i rounded 30 years. As a birthday present from my good friend Trygve I got a, guess what, you guessed it. It was a no good nursery stock SAGERETIA THEEZANS /CHINESE BIRD PLUM mallsai wich came in a small blue polished pot. During springtime last year I did all the wrong things right and by the start of June i could throw the dry stick in the garbage.

But the Bonsaiist inside me had awoken...

So we started collecting. Everything wich could be called a hedge, tree or scrub we dug up and brought it home for a new pot; yamadori, Still I did all the wrong things right, but by the start of november i had 18 pots with sticks in it, wich I considered then a good job done. Then after reading dozens of articles about the harsh winters in Norway regarding Bonsais, I did a last, but interesting mistake. I kept them inside and ended up with 18 frustrated and confused trees with not too much life in them.




Well now, however things were, this year has started different. I joined Stavanger Bonsaiforening and I check in at our beloved forum almost everyday to get the hang of things.

Out of the now 21 pots I have outside my backdoor in Stavanger I see a small potential in at least 7 of them, so i have decided to post some pictures of them, not so much for a growing audience, but as a kind of diary of my own hobby. Here is the list of trees I am currently interested in:

2 * Acer Palmatum

This image was taken outside Horpestad Plantesalg in Bryne. I later brought them to the workshop with David Prescott earlier this month, and both of them are now cut down to the bone.

1 * Acer Palmatum Atroporporeum

intro/image to come

1 * Acer Ginalla

intro/image to come

1 * European Larch (Larix decidua)

Now this one is my first real Yamadori, i almost drowned trying to get it in the fall of -07. I can see from this old picture that I would have saved more of the branches and the trunk if i was to cut it today. It will have to grow a few years still to become a real Bonsai, but i love this one anyway.



2 * Beech (Fagus Sylvatica)

Intro/image to come

1 * Birch (Betula "something")

One of many sticks brought down from the mountain last fall on one of my hunting sessions. This is the first tree I planted in a soil entirely made of Cat Litter and it has survived through the winter, with new green shoots now. This image was taken november -07.




So, as my story continue I will post some pictures to follow up these trees during this interesting time of year for Bonsai. See you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment